Leader in Training
This program is specially designed for our older teen campers to enjoy a summer of play and work as they transition from being our oldest campers to becoming our newest staff members.
WHY BECOME AN LIT?
LIT stands for Leader in Training. Teens participating in our Leadership-in-Training program learn to become a counselor and camp leader by working with younger campers and being positive role models. We have found that our best leaders and staff are often those who have been through the camp experience as a camper.
WHO CAN ATTEND THE LEADER-IN-TRAINING PROGRAM?
To be eligible to be a LIT, a camper must be entering 10th grade the following September.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE PROGRAM?
The program includes staff supervision, training, and mentoring in a group or specialty area, these leadership development opportunities are balanced with daily camp activities, and off campus day trips two days a week. LTs will be rotated among camper groups and specialty areas every two weeks during the summer to experience the different aspects of camp. The LITs will be carefully placed in the area where we feel they will be most successful.
WHO SUPERVISES THE LEADER-IN-TRAINING PROGRAM?
The LITs are supervised by our LIT Coordinator. The coordinator works closely with each of the LITs to provide supervision and training. The coordinator will accompany the LITs on all off campus trips.
WHAT DOES A TYPICAL WEEK LOOK LIKE?
3 days a week on the campground
Mornings - LTs work the first 4 periods with their assigned group of younger campers or assist a specialty staff member with their program. They develop leadership and organizational skills.
Afternoon - LITs have lunch together then participate in camp activities including free swim and an option period (clubs).
2 days a week day trips off campground
2019 LIT TRIP SCHEDULE (TENTATIVE)
- Tuesday 6/25 Belmar Beach
- Thursday 6/27 Six Flags Great Adventure / 6:00pm Late Night
- Tuesday 7/2 Asbury Park Beach
- Thursday 7/3 Paddle Boarding, Spruce Run / 6:00pm Late Night
- Tuesday 7/9 Jenkinson Beach
- Thursday 7/11 Freedom Fest State Fair/ Bowling 6:00 pm Late Night
- Tuesday 7/16 Manasquan Beach
- Thursday 7/18 Camelbeach Mountain Water Park / 6:00pm Late
- Tuesday 7/23 Asbury Park Beach
- Thursday 7/25 Six Flags Great Adventure / 6:00pm Late Night
- Tuesday 7/30 Kayaking Spruce Run
- Thursday 8/1 Belmar Beach/ Outdoor Laser Tag / 6:00pm Late Night
- Tuesday 8/6 Jenkinson Beach
- Thursday 8/8 Dutch Springs Aqua Park / 6:00pm Late Night
- Tuesday 8/13 Manasquan Beach
- Wednesday 8/14 Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom/ 6:00pm Late Night